If you haven’t picked a word for the upcoming year to help you focus your attention and energy, then it’s not too late. Take a look at this useful 4 step strategy that I use to help me choose my word each year.
Step 1 – Reflect on Your Past Year
Take some time to ask yourself and reflect on what challenges you may have faced? What did you learn? What mistakes did you make? And determine what is working, and what’s not working?
Step 2 – Think about the Year Ahead
Your new word should be focused on what lies ahead. What challenges are coming ahead? What are you looking forward to? How would you like to grow as a person in the year ahead? What areas would you like to change or focus on in your future?
Step 3 – Choose Your Word
Now the fun part! Take a look at the printable provided named “Word Bank”. Let this be a guide of just some of the many words that you can use to help choose your word for the year. Pay attention to any words that may resonate with you and make a list of them. Take some time, maybe an hour or a day or so to eliminate and just choose one word. Then study that word, pray over this word, and ask God to reveal the area of your life He wants you to grow and develop in.
Ask will this word take you closer to or further away from where you want to journey to in the upcoming year. Don’t overthink it, allow the word to come to you.
Related: My 2021 Word of the Year
Step 4- What to do With Your Word
Once your word is chosen, use the worksheet printable to help grow deeper with your word and apply it to your day to day life.
- Write down your word.
- Look up your word’s definition and a few synonyms for greater insight.
- Find scriptures that use your word and give God’s perspective on it.
- Keep a small journal to document how God uses your word throughout your life in 2021.
- Search Amazon for books that discuss your word and put a few on your reading list. Let it be a goal to read at least one book.
- Make a plan to focus your word in various areas of your life.
- Save and put this worksheet on your fridge, in your office, or wherever you like as a reminder.
As you go through the year, review and reflect monthly on your progress and growth in the areas you are working on, and continue to ask God to help reveal your word in your everyday life.
My word of the year for 2021 is “INCREASE”. If you’d like to know more about my word then check out my post My 2021 Word of the Year. Now your turn, share your word for 2021 down below. I would love to hear them.